Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Just plain thankful...

I just love this little farm. It brings so much pleasure to me and I am so thankful for every day here. Yesterday was my first day back subbing, so I REALLY appreciated being home today not working! So today I just walked around and took a few pictures of things that I am appreciative of today...


When we tore down our old house that was so much longer than our new one, there was a space left between the house and the shop that we didn't know what to do with. After thinking about it for a year, we decided to put in this little garden. This is the first year of these plantings and I think they're finally looking nice. The tall thing by the little pergola in the back (which is actually by the front yard) is a table grape called Suffolk. It didn't produce this year so we have high hopes for next year. Please ignore the little wood stakes and chickenwire as the chickens were getting in there and digging everything up! Darn chickens!


Speaking of chickens, here's the girls looking for dropped fruit below the plum tree. They are really good at keeping it cleaned up. I actually have to make sure to pick up all the downed apples before the chickens get out or they don't leave any for the horses! I did notice the deer are coming at night too, to get their share!


I think most horse owners would be very content to see these last two sights in their barn. The picture above shows my 2 1/2 tons of pelleted bedding and 8 bags of beet pulp that I have got stored up for the winter. (I have heard from a number of sources about a potential beet pulp shortage, so I'd actually like to get a few more bags just to be safe.) I love for the horses to come in each rainy winter day to their warm, cozy stalls with their clean fluffy bedding. Pelleted bedding is wonderful in that it breaks down to a coarse sawdust and it is so easy to pick out the poops and the pee usually stays in one nice clump to remove as well. Hey! Notice that sign on the right that says "Bail.."? Well, there was someone running for office that had the name Bailey, so we somehow (!) got a hold of a sign and will cut out the name and use it on Bailey's stall. Too funny.


This picture is actually not ALL of my hay that I have bought for the winter. There are 250 bales of local grass hay (I have 75 more at my hay guy's barn), 10 big bales of orchard left from last year (I'll use that right when they come in while they still have fall pasture, so if the nutrients aren't as good in the hay they're still getting some from the pasture and of course their supplements). The other little pile of hay closest to the camera is 4 bales of Teff hay. This is for Maddie, who has had some problems with her liver, and this hay is very low in sugars and seems to be the best hay for her delicate system. Only the best for Maddie!

No comments: