Wednesday, July 8, 2009

These guys are adorable!

Let me tell you...watching these guys is 10 times better than any show on TV! Momma already has her hands full trying to keep all five of these precocious little fluff balls within a comfortable zone around her. It is so adorable when momma wants them to eat...she lowers her head to the food and makes this specific clucking sound and they all crowd around her beak and look at what she's pointing at. I had the food in a nice little pan, but momma got in and scratched it all out. The babies must have been watching, because later I saw these two day old little peepers scratching the food like the big chickens do! Sooo cute!


I was a little concerned because I had seen them eating but had not caught them drinking, but early in the day I was watching them and momma had them close to the water and told them all about it. Look at this little cutie on the left learning to drink! I swear I change that water like 5 times a day, but with them scratching and throwing stuff all over the place, they are making the water dirty as quickly as I can change it. Darn little peepers!


Yesterday, the first day after everybody had hatched, momma already had them out of the dog crate and exploring a small part of the stall and finding the food and water. I was kind of concerned what they would do at night, but when I did the last check on them, she had them all back in the dog crate so I locked them in for the night. I like that as they are doubly safe. I was hoping she'd do the same tonight and, sure enough, she did. So it seems like we have a routine already. I tell you, this is addictive. If I had room for more chickens, I'd do this more often! Frank is now breathing a sigh of relief that I will control myself!

2 comments:

Bean said...

What a wonderful commentary on baby chickens. Thank you Jayne!

Frank said...

Cute, cute, cute, Jaymers. In that last pic it looks as if the chick on the left is trying to drink. Fun.