Thursday, July 9, 2009

An evening walk around the farm - for Frank

Hi Sweetheart! I took the camera around on my evening tour of our little farm tonight. The sun was at a low angle, so they're not the best, but you get the idea!


I got most of the garden weeded today (didn't get IN the corn or potatoes). Everything is coming along great except the beets that I planted a little late in the season. No worries though, because they can grow well into fall, unlike some of the other veggies.


Walking and watering behind the house, I got a picture of those bad donkeys in the back field. Look how deep it is!! They're going to be disappointed when it's mowed tomorrow.


I can't believe those baby swallows are out of the nest already! I caught two of them taking a little break on the grape arbor. They still have some of their baby fuzz and white beak edges. What brave little babies!


The flowers are growing fairly well in the side garden. The Miracle Grow you put in the waterer seems to be helping. Plants such as these that like shade don't seem to grow as fast as those in full sun. The grape vine is growing like crazy though!


Katie was sitting out on the driveway so I snapped a quick picture of her. She really had a good time helping me weed the garden this morning. She's a good shadow just about every where I go (except she's not allowed with me in by the baby chicks!). Jake was being cagey and wouldn't let me take a picture of him. No surprise there, but he is still alive, I promise!


Sandy was laying out under the plum tree and right when I went to take this picture the chickens had to come see what was going on. Needless to say, this is sure documentation that Sandy is a chicken safe dog. She misses you and your long walks together.


The branch holding all those heavy plums hits me fairly low on my chest now. It's going to be a while until they ripen, though, as they're still as hard and green as can be. I've already alerted the neighbors to prepare for this record crop!


Maddie and Yakki were giving me the cold shoulder because I wasn't quite ready to bring them in for the night. I'll go get them in a minute, the spoiled babies!


The last stop on my tour was to take a picture of the boys. I went down and scrubbed their trough today. I had good pony help, of course. This picture also shows the reason that people with black show horses don't leave them out in the sun of the day. This is the worst sun fading I have ever seen on him. It's been a bright summer I guess!

So that's it for tonight. I'm heading out to feed them their vitamins in a little bit of beet pulp, put the chickens away and turn off the water on the garden. Thanks for all you do around here. It's especially obvious when you're not here doing it! We miss you!

3 comments:

Mirlandra said...

My word - it looks beautiful . . . The dirt in your garden looks super rich too! Wow.

Jayne said...

Thanks Mirlandra! That nice dirt in the garden it totally thanks to the equines on this ranch. We dump the stall cleanings out there for about a month every winter, let it compost, and then till it in. It's black gold!

Frank said...

Jaymers, thank you for the pics. I miss our little ranch a lot and will be happy to get home.