Thursday, July 30, 2009

Lovely Iowa

I returned late Tuesday night from a wonderful trip to Iowa and found the temperature to be 93 degrees at 9pm!! Who ever heard of that here?! So while I'm glad to be home, it certainly would have been far more comfortable to stay in Iowa!


One of the first things my kind hosts took me to see was a produce auction. Produce grown by the Amish was brought to the facility by horse and buggy or wagon. Sometimes it was just a mom and kids, like shown here, but there were also a few bigger rigs pulled by draft horses. It was so hard to decide which pictures to show!


There was a nice loading dock under cover where the horses/buggies could stop to unload. The produce was put on rolling carts and lined up for the auction. We saw a lot of green beans, onions, tomatoes, summer squash and a little bit of several other items. When I went back the following Monday, there was far more tomatoes that just 3 days before. I don't know if you can see the corn on the back of the buggy shown above, but we bought 10 dozen of those ears and after giving a bunch away to friends and family, we had a feast of fresh sweet corn. YUM.


The auctioneer would stand by each cart and people would gather around and bid. They did usually make the bidders buy the whole cart full of stuff, but if you didn't want the whole amount, you could turn around and sell what you didn't need/want to others. For example, Ange wanted a few hardy hibiscus plants but the lot was for 6 of them. The bidding went higher than she wanted to pay, especially for six of them, but the winning bidder turned around and sold three of them to Ange. I saw that happening a lot.


There were a few baskets for sale that had been put together in such a beautiful way that I had to take a picture. If I had been home, certainly I would have bid on this lovely collection of lots of good things to eat: potatoes, onions, peppers, beans, tomatoes and an eggplant.


My hosts, Ange and Jerry, have friends with a wonderful, well-broke team and they were willing to let us come over and maybe even let me hold the lines for a little while. These mares were being driven nearly every day in anticipation of the up-coming Iowa State Fair, so we took them out and I DID get to drive them. That was a wonderful experience! I really thank Ange and Jerry and new friends Randy and Peggy for giving me this opportunity. It was a blast.


Back at the home of Cottonwood Percherons there was plenty of good times and relaxation. I had such a good time playing with the barn kittens. I really would have brought my favorite little gray boy with the white mittens back with me if I didn't have such a cranky old mouser at home. I must have 30 pictures of these guys playing all around Ange's lovely garden. She also had a wonderful swing in which I spent much time reading and watching thunderstorms roll by and lightening bugs come out at dusk. It was truly enchanting.


Here is Jerry with his two blue roan percheron mares. These are such wonderful horses. Anyone would be proud to look out and see them in their field, that's for sure. This was taken in the morning after they came in for their grain and fly spray before heading back to pasture.


The days I was in Iowa were not too hot (maybe the highest was mid-80's) so the girls enjoyed standing up by the fence and watching the world go by. I like how they've set themselves up here, with the gray in the middle and arranged in a line like that. The clover must have been coming on good as each time I went out to say HI I got a shirt full of slobber. They are sweet, friendly girls and I enjoyed getting to know them.


On the last day we had to take the pony to the farrier for a trim, and this Amish family also kept goats for milking....160 of them!! We spent quite a bit of time in the milking parlor with their two older teenage children who were in charge of the goats and the milking. They use a machine for milking, but they did let me try to milk one by hand, which needless to say didn't go too well! But we had a great time. I love the look on the face of the white goat in the middle of this picture. Too funny!


Back home again, I spent plenty of time with my new buddy Kona, their mastiff. He was so well behaved and sweet, anyone would be proud to have a dog like him. Whenever I went in and out he was on my heels, so I felt I needed to have a picture taken with him to capture our time together. What a sweetheart!

One thing I haven't talked about and didn't get any pictures of was all the good food that they made sure I had. I tried catfish for the first time, had some authentic mexican food, and Ange made a roast and veggies in the crock pot one night and Iowa pork chops the following night. Those home meals were accompanied by lots of fresh summer veggies and iced tea. It just doesn't get any better than that.

So huge thanks to my hosts for letting me come and experience what it's like to live in Iowa. I had an amazing time and look forward to going back again. Maybe they'll come visit our fine state of Washington some time soon. I sure hope so.

Frank had taken wonderful care of everyone on our little farm in spite of the terrible heat and humidity which is so rare for this area. The little chicks are over three weeks old now and growing like weeds! This heat has claimed the life of one of our old hens and we hope that's the last of that. I had my stall bedding and beetpulp delivered just today, so I am prepared for whatever the winter might throw at us. I'll update with farm pictures again soon!

No comments: