Thursday, April 22, 2010

Just a couple of things...


I just wanted to try and catch a picture of all the blooms on one of our apple trees. It's the same tree I have a close-up picture of above. It is so pretty and luckily the bees have been visiting, so hopefully we'll get a good crop. You can see I gave the minis a few minutes of grass. Yakki, of course, doesn't need it, but Maddie is doing really well after a hard winter and was able to enjoy some grass as well. We actually have Maddie on some human diabetes medicine (Metformin...and it's $4 a month!) and that seems to have leveled out her blood sugar enough so her feet aren't sore. Yeah!


I still have about 1/2 of the vegetable garden to plant (probably today) but I don't want to neglect the flower gardens either. Our neighbor has a big compost pile and he shares the dirt freely, so here's our side garden after putting in about two yards more dirt. I have no idea where all the old dirt went, as it was full last year, too! I'm going to stick some annuals in there today. I have to do it before I let the dumb peckers out, or I will have all kinds of 'help' before I can get the little protective fence back up.


I wanted to show you the amazing green color of this spirea in the side garden. It's too bad that the camera can never capture anything the same as your eye sees it, but I think you can get the idea here. This is one of those plants that you have just for it's color and not necessarily the blooms, although this one will have some clusters of small pink flowers later in the season.

So I'm off to the feed store later today to get some chicken scratch, oyster shell and see what else they have in the garden department that I can get in trouble with. Good thing I'm not going to the Stanwood feed store, because they have baby chicks there!!

No comments: