Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Gardener's Dilemma


Well, everything I had here that needed to be planted, either starts or seeds, is now in the ground. Here's the dilemma: I still have space!! What to do? What to do? I'm actually having quite a bit of fun thinking of what I've not grown before that might be fun to try. The space in the veggie garden is about 6' x 8' (the rectangle on the right in the picture above), so plenty of room to try a few things. There is even some room in the side flower garden and the herb garden as well.


I mostly took and included this picture so I would have a 'before' picture to refer to when things got to looking nice. It looks pretty bleak here now, frankly! The little white fence is one we got to keep the chickens out of the side flower garden, but, needless to say, it didn't work, so now it's the trellis for my peas, which actually I can see poking up above the ground today. Nice.


Here's the side garden with my new little annuals planted. You can see there is room for more. As I was planting, I noticed that, except for 6 little alyssum, there is not enough white. It is mostly pinks and purples, so I think I'll have to get some more white and probably something yellow as well. Oh darn, more things to get for the garden!


Here is the first of what I am sure will be many chicken pictures this year. I just love these dumb peckers, and they've been quite productive lately as well, with 8 or 9 eggs a day. I want to point out the little hen on the left. That's Sylvia, the one we adopted last year from the Braly's. In case they check this blog once in a while, I wanted them to know that their sweet girl is doing fine, doesn't crow or be mean to anyone else (why she needed a new home) and lays a little egg every other day or so. She has been a fun addition to our goofy, mixed flock.


This is Vasco. That is short for Vasco De Gama. She has that name because she is always curious and exploring. I'll go out to the barn and find her WAY up in the rafters just checking out every nook and cranny. Just the other day she got into our shop somehow and I found her on top of our upright freezer. She gets along well with the other chickens, but she is just as happy on her own. Today, I was sitting on the bench on our new porch, sorting through my seed packets, and she had to make sure I was doing it right. I know it sounds dorky, but I think chickens make pretty entertaining pets.


Lastly, it's embarrassing to have THIS out in our pasture, but everyone who drives by gets to see her, so I thought you should enjoy the sight as well. Daisy will be four this July (where does time go) and she is still just as sweet and willing as she's ever been. I had a harness on her several times last fall, and hope to continue with her training and maybe have her in the cart this summer some time. Of course I'll get pictures of that too!

Thanks for sticking with me during the break I took from writing this blog over the winter. I'll do my best to keep it as interesting as possible, but sometimes that's hard because, frankly, we're not that interesting! I am always open to requests as well, so feel free to write if you want to see anything. :)

No comments: