Sunday, October 5, 2008

Three new girls!

I wanted to introduce you to three new members of our Red Pony Ranch. Meet Nugget, Patty and Finger, three new Australorp hens. Actually, those names came from their previous owner, and while cute, will not be called that on this farm!


I saw an ad on freecycle.com (a great group to join, by the way) about three very young hens (who haven't even laid yet) who needed a new home. The family lived in Everett and intended to build a coop by winter but just didn't see themselves getting it done, so they offered them up. Well, I jumped right on this opportunity, as my hens are getting to be the age where they start slowing down with the laying. So these great new girls came to live with us. I was a little nervous about them fitting in and maybe that the old girls would pick on them, but they seem to be doing well and have even been out free ranging and gotten back to the coop safely.


Since these girls have no distinguishing characteristics whatsoever, they will henceforth be known collectively as 'the new girls'. They join two other australorps we already have and are a very welcome addition. Colonel Sanders, our rooster, seems particularly smitten with them. The old hens don't even give him the time of day, so he's hoping he can sweet talk the new babes into a little action! It's nice that someone else took the time to raise these hens up and now we get to benefit from their 'cackleberries' as my friend Kari calls them! They just need to get laying! I'll make sure to take a picture or two of their first attempts. Usually they're very small, but still tasty!

6 comments:

Jake Mock said...

That is funny! I like your chickens.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jake! I'm glad you're reading my blog! I need to be more faithful with more postings.

The chickens are fun AND funny!

Anonymous said...

Great job, Jaymers. I love our new girls!

Lisa said...

It looks like bird hunting time to me! (hehe)

Lisa said...

Once again that was your brother trying to be FUNNY but then you probably figured that out already! :) Cute addition to your family!

Anonymous said...

It's great to see them looking so happy! Except it's Patty, Nugget, and Fry. And *I* can tell them apart! ;-)

Enjoy them, they're good girls.

Teresa