Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The greenhouse is open for business!


Well, today was the day to get this finished! I still needed to stain about 100 short boards that make up the shelves on these benches, but every time I went out to work on it, it was HOT in there! Who woulda thunk it?! Hahaha! So this morning's weather report called for a lot of fog this morning, so I got out there and finished the job. I wanted to get it done now as I'm going back under the knife on Friday and didn't want that hanging over my head.


One thing that is really neat is this 'sink' they sent that is used to hold soil. I have about 1 and 1/2 bags of that nice nursery mix in there. I put the rest in the area below the single bench that you can see in the following pictures. My first planting project is to take all the runners off the strawberry plants and put them into pots to sell or give away. There are probably 30 or 40 of them and there is no place for them to plant themselves by the strawberry planter they're reaching out from. I'll take a picture of that once I get it set up nice.


So when you go into the greenhouse, on the right is the single bench with the soil below it. You can see the six swiss chard plants that I have planted here. They are doing so well already. It will be neat to see if they really do grow all winter. I'm not sure what I'm going to put in the back half...maybe spinach? We don't eat much lettuce in the winter, so I'm trying to come up with other ideas.


I guess I just wanted to show a picture with everything so nice and clean and tidy, because I'm sure it will never look like this again. I have barn pictures like that as well. Now it looks...hmm....lived in, for sure! No use having these great things like a barn and a greenhouse and not use them! Thanks for looking!

No comments: