Friday, November 27, 2009

The Day After Thanksgiving

This exact same day last year was documented in this blog, and I went back to refresh my memory. I saw pictures of us putting up our Christmas lights and decorations in shirtsleeves! The good news is that today we are rain-free and in the high 40's...perfect for some chores around the farm and continuing work on the deck!


Frank actually ran the mower a bit, chopping down the longer grass that I didn't get with the riding mower when I did the last mowing of the season on November 3rd. Our cool season grasses really perked up after a long, warm summer (by our standards). We also cleaned out our flower and herb beds, cleaned the chicken coop and Frank knocked down some scotch broom (a local pain-in-the-butt weed) in our lower pasture and picked out a new spot for this winter's barn-cleanings. We have been using the compost from the barn, about a wheelbarrow-full a day, to add organic material to the sandy soil in our lower pasture. The areas that we did the previous years grow such nice lush grass now.


Work is continuing on our lovely porch. Frank says the porch is way better quality than the house it's attached to and I don't disagree. These guys are such artists. I am sure we will be spending many hours enjoying this porch with a good book or friends.


We had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner with our neighbors and friends, but we miss the leftovers, so today I am making a few of our favorite parts that we want to have around a pick on for the rest of the weekend! I hope you had a wonderful time with family and friends, and ate lots of good things! I know we sure did!

1 comment:

Bean said...

The porch is fantastic. I hope we get to visit again sometime and make use of it.