Friday, August 29, 2008

Meet Bailey, the clydesdale!


This is our big boy, a black clydesdale named Bailey. His registered name is Sister's View Governor, coming out of a ranch in Sisters, Oregon. When I was 38 years old, I decided to realize my lifetime dream of horse ownership. While I wasn't knowledgeable enough to pick a horse of my own I trusted the owner of my boarding facility to find one for me. I had only a short list of what I wanted: a gelding, BIG, and if possible black and white. So about 6 months went by and then the call came, "Jayne, come meet your horse." I think I broke all land speed records to the barn and this is the face that I saw. I fell in love with him right away and he's been with me ever since.

I know some people thought I was nuts to buy such a big horse for my first horse, but I have found him to be a safe, reliable horse who doesn't do anything fast! This picture is of us at a play-day where we competed (well, we participated!) running barrels and flags and poles. He loved it, although it was like doing everything in slow motion. Bailey has lots of experience pulling different sized wagons and carts, but I've only used him for riding.

Having been a show horse in the past, he has come to expect a certain amount of special treatment. Just a few raindrops send him to the gate, whinneying in his big horse whinney to be brought in unless he melts. He insists on having his rain sheet on if I make him go out in the rain. He loves his pony friend Little Bit and tolerates a lot of crap from the baby donkey. He loves carrots and apples, but when offered a marshmallow peep, he projectile spit it out. Bailey can also count, because if any horse is missing from his 'herd' he paces and calls out looking for them. Lastly, he is a neighborhood favorite and cars often slow down passing our pasture to see such a big horse. He's a good boy and I'm lucky to have him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many hands is he???

Jayne said...

Hi Debie!

Actually he's not that tall as draft horses go. He's just 17 hands even. I did discover that it was a little too tall for me as a trail mount and have pretty much retired him.

Thanks for asking about my sweet guy!

Jayne

Anonymous said...

my favorite boy!!!! how nice to see him here ^_^

Syn said...

Baily is gorgeous. My girl is half clyde (black and white). I love 'em.